Drowning in zucchini? Enjoy some of your garden bounty in this delicious chocolate zucchini bread! Even if you think you’re burnt out on zucchini, you won’t be once you taste this…
Zucchini is notorious for producing far more squash than you could ever eat during the growing season – and there aren’t a ton of ways to preserve it (although you can shred and freeze it for addition to stews, sauces, and baked goods, and we have had some success with making fresh squash pickles).
If you find yourself over-run with this prolific squash, new tasty ways to eat it are always welcome!
One great quality of zucchini is its mild flavor, which means you can add it to many dishes for moisture, bulk, and fiber – and your family will hardly notice. It is especially good in rich, chocolatey cakes and zucchini bread (or muffins) like the recipe below. Even your pickiest eaters will ask for seconds of this yummy recipe!
If you’ve been looking for a new way to eat up some of your garden’s bounty of zucchini, here’s one to try:
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 2 loaves of bread or 18 muffins
- 2 1/4 cups soft white wheat flour on pastry setting or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup melted coconut oil or butter
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup sugar (may add additional 1/4 cup if desired)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Beat eggs with a fork til foamy. Add oil, coffee, sugar, and vanilla, stir well. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl then add to liquids. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Grease 2 large bread pans. Pour batter in prepared pans and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for approximately 40 minutes. Test center with a toothpick until it comes out clean. Cool in pan for about 20 minutes before removing. For muffins, bake in prepared tins for 18 to 22 minutes (check at 18 minutes if the center is done with a toothpick)